Mastercam compare to SolidCAM

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastercam compare to SolidCAM

Hello everyone,

I’m current Mastercam user right now for about 7 years and before had a great experience for 4 years for SolidCAM.

In this post I will share my thoughts why Mastercam is still number 1 in Northern America and why it’s a bad choice.

Very interested to hear your comments!

Emil

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      Hello everyone,
      I’m current Mastercam user right now for about 7 years and before had a great experience for 4 years for SolidCam.
      in this post I will share my thoughts why Mastercam is still number 1 in Northern America and why it’s a bad choice.
      and, what's going on ?

Comment

The only reason why Mastercam is so popular is EDUCATION.

All colleges in North America teach their students Mastercam, because they got it for free.

Second thing that everyone can download Home Learning Edition (HLE) version from Mastercam website. It’s free and the only difference is that HLE doesn’t create G-code.

Last thing Mastercam forum and eMastercam forum. It’s two huge resources where everyone can get advice not only for programming but for machining also.

Comment

Now, why Mastercam is a bad choice.

Time spent for programming in Mastercam is huge to compare with SolidCAM.

Mastercam doesn’t create comments in operations so programmer has to type by himself. In program with 200 operations it took me about 20 minutes total just for naming them.

Sketches cannot be closed for editing, so better to keep them in different levels so they don’t overlap each other. Once again you have to name levels distinguish them. So 20 minutes more.

Comment

SolidCAM uses main plane and subplanes for multiaxis programming.

Mastercam uses 3 planes in each operation. It’s the easy way to make a mistake while choosing those planes, so people like to see all 3 planes on a screen.

Mastercam programmers use at least 2 screens, one for graphic area and another one for operation name, operation type and planes name.

Comment

In Practical Machinist forum I’ve seen people call Mastercam a thousand clicks software.

All operations have many windows inside, so while programming you need to go inside each of them.

2D operations, 3D old operations, 3D new operations, drilling operations and multiaxis operations, have not many things in common which makes the software not user friendly.

Comment

So for all said above programming in Mastercam takes 30 to 50% more time than in SolidCAM.

Comment

Stock model in Mastercam is a pain.

You have to create it manually, choose which operations are included to calculate for stock.

It could be hundred stock models in program. For verification the right one should be chosen in simulator option.

The same problem with Fixtures. Every time you want to run simulation with different fixture, you have to choose the right one in Simulation option window. You cannot save it as a Setup like in SolidCAM.

Target model in Mastercam doesn’t exist. So if you have other solid models or surfaces on your screen and run verification it will show all of them.

Comment

Really great information for folks trying to decide about SolidCAM, thank you. We really do appreciate your comments!

If you have any suggestions for SolidCAM, you would like to share with our team, please drop me a line at [email protected].

Again, thank you for your posts.

Comment

• AbhishekSolidcam
                      AbhishekSolidcam commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks For Sharing information!!

https://youtu.be/0zVX_C-HNV0

Comment

In topic Solidcam vs Mastercam was mentioned that
                      MasterCAM in SolidWorks integration version is practically a failure (they rarely sell it).

It’s not really true. Every Mastercam license allows to use both, Mastercam standalone version and Mastercam for Solidworks.

The problem is that Mastercam for Solidworks is pretty limited, to compare to standalone versions, so people prefer to use original version.

Comment

Thanks for your comment. We were not aware of that.

But you definitely confirm the spirit of the statement: let’s reword it - MasterCAM integration in SolidWorks is practically a failure, because in reality nobody uses it, since it is pretty limited, compared to MasterCAM stand-alone version..

Emil

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X